Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reading, Watching, Listening

In case you've been wondering why my blog posts are so sporadic and infrequent, it's because I've been reading A LOT.  I get so excited when I have a bunch of books lined up on my bedside table screaming for my attention.  

READING

Of everything I've read lately, my favorite two books are Clara's War and Simple Living: One Couple's Search for a Better Life. 

Clara's War is Clara Kramer's Holocaust survival story.  She survived the war with her parents by living in a bunker under the house of her family's prior housekeeper (it was actually a Jewish home/house that was given to the housekeeper's family after the Jews were kicked out).  Clara lived in that bunker for almost TWO YEARS.  It was so small that not one of its occupants could even stand up straight.  At the most, there were EIGHTEEN people living in this bunker.  For me, the most amazing part of this story is that two young children lived in the bunker with them for most of the time. I cannot even imagine and it is truly a miracle that they all survived. At different times, there were Nazi and SS soldiers/agents living in the house above them.  It is one of the most gripping stories I've ever read and I am so happy I decided to read this book. (I'd decided some time ago to stop reading Holocaust books because I've read so many in my lifetime.  I felt inclined to read this one because my daughter is also named Clara.)  After reading the book I had to GOOGLE around to see if Clara is still alive. It appears she may be because I can't find anything to the contrary.  While researching, I came across this video of Clara and I just had to share it!  She is so precious and I, for one, am just so happy that she survived to tell this remarkable story.  


I am now reading Simple Living: One Couple's Search for a Better Life.  This book was published in 1992, long before the Simple Living movement came into being. It's one couple's attempt to simplify their life when they moved to an orchard in Virginia (that just happens to be near my hometown!).  I'm almost finished this book and feel like I might be inclined to write more when I'm done.  A lot of what was written in this book just speaks to me!  If the idea of living more simply appeals to you, you should seriously consider reading this book!!!  I originally heard about this book on Rhonda's blog (a daily read for me!).  

WATCHING

Alain and I watched ZERO DARK THIRTY last weekend. FINALLY!  I'd been wanting to see it for so long!  Wow.  I learned a thing or two and, of course, certain scenes were hard to watch, but I am in AWE of agents who do this type of work. In awe and so thankful.  Great movie if you're looking for something good to watch.  We rented it from RedBox.  

LISTENING

I'm really into the more rustic, folk-sounding bands that are popular now.  Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers, Imagine Dragons.  I listen to them when I can and turn up the radio FOR SURE when one of their songs comes on.  Very trendy and not too original but it is what it is!  Every once in a while they do play something good on the radio. This one is definitely a favorite:



I also had the pleasure of seeing PINK in concert last weekend.  Oh my!  It kind of blew my mind.  I am so thankful my friend talked me into it.  It certainly didn't disappoint and I look forward to the next time I can see her show!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, Pink? Wow, you rocker you! I'm not a huge fan of hers or anything, but she does have a very good voice. Clara's War sounds like an amazing story -- thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your musical choices, they're all big on the radio in the uk just now. And I think that simple living book sounds right up my street, thanks for the tip off!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails