Monday, April 8, 2013

Reading, Watching, Listening

READING

With both of my girls out of school recently (Clara for two weeks and Sophie for one), I barely had time to read.  Somehow, on our Spring Break trip, I managed to finish Code Name Verity.  This was one of my rare fiction reads for the year.  I have to say that I do quite enjoy historical fiction.  This book was an Honor title for the 2012 Michael L. Printz award.  Code Name Verity is the story of a secret agent captured by the Gestapo in enemy territory and her efforts to evade execution.  I love all the historical detail and I found the story pretty gripping.  This book is a good read and one that I'd definitely recommend to others! 




I have several books on the back burner just waiting for some free time. These include Gone Girl and Wonder.  I've been wanting to read both for a long time!

WATCHING

I don't know about you but I love the few months following the Oscars, when all of the nominated films come out on DVD.  Last week we rented and watched both Lincoln and Argo.

Lincoln.  I particularly love books and movies that trigger some interest and further study on a topic. Lincoln was one such movie for me.  In particular, I became very interested in the story of Mary Todd Lincoln.  I had no idea that she and Lincoln had four sons and that three passed away during Mary's lifetime.  She was also sitting right next to Lincoln when he was shot/assassinated.  Can you imagine such tragedy?  Then, after her third son passed away, her eldest and only remaining son had her committed to an asylum.  (How would you not be crazy?) Because of that, they were estranged until shortly before her death.  Um yeah.  After some research online, I requested Jean H. Baker's biography of Mary.  I can't wait to read it!  


Argo. I can see why this movie won the Best Picture award.  I was quite young during the Iran Hostage Crisis so I was googling away during the movie.  There were so many "characters" and I had no idea who they were!  So it was nice to get a short little history lesson.  I was so nervous watching the movie that I thought I was going to be sick.  I'm still amazed that Ben Affleck's character was able to pull off the escape of six hostages.  I'm really not sure how those six hostages were able to keep their nerves in check!  


LISTENING

I am rather obsessed with this song.  I mean obsessed.  I can't remember the last time I liked a song this much.  The video is horrendous (in my opinion) but just listen to the song and look at something else while it's playing (ha!).  Does anyone love it too? 


How about you?  What have you been reading, watching, listening?  Anything good?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm interested in Mary's story! I don't know why I'm so resistant to Argo haha.. I think it's because of Ben Affleck lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your hesitation but I promise it's worth a watch ~ I doubt you'd be disappointed!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails