Saturday, August 17, 2013

Winged Visitors!

When the girls and I arrived at my parent's house last Sunday afternoon, one of the first things we noticed was a little butterfly garden that my parents have beside their back fence.  It had multiple visitors when we arrived.  After our hellos, I ran to get my camera.

Before I even made it the butterflies, my Dad pointed out the hummingbird visiting their feeder.



They're fast and don't stay long but I was pretty thrilled with these two pictures. I was also thrilled that I got to see the hummingbirds a few more times during our visit. Why we don't have a hummingbird feeder at home is totally beyond me!

(Speaking of hummingbirds, did you guys see the tiny hummingbird nest?????? Oh my heart.)

Okay, on to the butterflies....



And this picture.....whew, I can't get over it.


What in the world is this flower/plant?  My parents said it came with the house! I would LOVE to have one in our yard.  Please let me know if you can help me ID it!  I am not lying.....every single time I looked out the window or passed by this plant, there were multiple butterflies hanging out!  I believe they were all Swallowtails....the ones you see here and mostly the yellow variety.


And I do love the Black-Eyed Susans too!!! We had some beautiful ones in our front yard years ago and I accidentally killed them.  It has to be one of the easiest plants in the world to have and I killed them! I did tell you I wasn't good at growing flowers!!!

Tell me, do you guys have a favorite butterfly plant/bush/flower?  I would really love to plant one in Hubbell's garden!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey! I've been catching up on your lovely August posts ~ They are so full of heart! I am sorry that you are going through such loss. Your girls are lovely, and I wouldn't be surprised if Clara turned out to be a naturalist! She is so hands on with nature. Have you read Rachel Carson's "The Sense of Wonder?" It is a beautiful book, and in it Carson tells the importance of parents instilling a sense of wonder about nature in their children. I have reread it many times. And have you read your girls "Stellaluna" by Janell Cannon? I so love this book!!! I read it to my kiddos every year... Keep writing your beautiful and inspiring posts! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Audrey!
    I wish Richard was home, he would know the name of that flower, I just know that he would!
    You know the books that Louise speaks of above? "The Sense of Wonder" by Rachel Carson is one that I also love and "Stellaluna" is another one.
    You MUST get yourself a hummingbird feeder. Don't bother with buying the sugar water, you just make it yourself! You will LOVE to see them! We have ours until October, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty pictures!! I love wild flowers and roses, and bougainvilleas too. I love all flowers really, but I think bougainvilleas are really easy to grow, well at least, they are in our weather anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post, Audrey, and I have to say that I DO love a sweet hummingbird! :o)

    I only learned about a year ago that certain plants/flowers actually attract butterflies but don't know of the specifics. I'll leave it to you to find some and share them here, although I'd probably have to have a different variety that could withstand our heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely photographs! Isn't Nature wonderful -- so uplifting! I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the number of butterflies here since all that idiotic deforestation :( Thankfully, everyone in the estate works hard to keep their own little garden plots going. I believe shasta daisies, asters, violets and zinnias are just a few of the flowers that attract butterflies with their nectar. Or sunflowers, hollyhock and snapdragons, which can host caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails