Tuesday, August 3, 2010

LSP: A Merry-Go-Round

Last Thursday I decided to spoil my daughter and take her to the local amusement park. We have a season pass but I've generally gone only when my husband was around and willing to join us. However, Thursday was a little cooler (you know, only 90 degrees rather than 98) and I was feeling like a fun Mom so we went. The Merry-Go-Round is the ride we always go to first and this time was no different. We hopped on and Sophie ran out in front of me to search for her perfect horse......


As I was watching her go about making her selection, I was overcome with the sensation of how that used to feel to me when I was a child. I could clearly recall running around the carousel passing horse after horse after horse. The one with the pink saddle. The one with the cool name. The tallest one. The one next to the cute boy. One special horse would always call out to me and I'd hop on filled with so much giddiness and excitement.


Pure happiness. I could see this happening to Sophie and I was a little overcome. Yes, THIS is what a childhood should be made of. This silly brand of magic. I want a lot of things for Sophie but those magic moments are really, really high on my list. I was so happy to be there to share that moment with her. A simple moment. But maybe one that she'll recall sometime in the future when her child is running around the carousel looking for just the right horse.


This simple ride got me thinking about life. Over time (and this is my old age speaking) everything seems to get more complicated.....better, faster, taller, stronger....you get my drift. A simple thrill just isn't enough anymore. Sometimes it's too much for me. And here I was literally surrounded by examples.

Sure, I love a good thrill. I do hope to ride this on one of my next visits if I can find someone brave enough to join me.


BUT, at the end of the day, I'll prefer the simple pleasure of the Merry-Go-Round. The slow gentle motion. The feathery breeze that passes your cheek. The cheesy fair music. If nothing else, it will take your back to your own childhood which was hopefully filled with magical moments.




The Merry-Go-Round: One of Life's Simple Pleasures


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails