Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lone Eagle

Alain, Sophie, Clara & I spent the last four days in Hilton Head.  I am still trying to decide which photos to share and what blog posts to create.....but one thing is too good to keep to myself for any longer than is necessary!

This morning Sophie & I went on a long bike ride and she took her notebook along to make some nature journal entries.  We'd ride our bikes until she saw something interesting and asked to stop. It was a nice surprise to turn a curve and come across this fellow....


We parked our bikes and sat down on the hillside so Sophie could draw.  It was fairly quiet and peaceful and, as she drew, I looked around.  After some time, I noticed a massive bird flying above us.  There was something about it that was just different.  I kept watching.  It flew fast in massive circles above us.  Could it be?  I pulled up the camera.


As soon as I saw the bird through my viewfinder, I just knew.


I THINK I'M SEEING MY FIRST WILD EAGLE.


The white head and tail.  The very yellow beak. The massive size.


I didn't want to get too excited in case I was wrong.


I just kept taking pictures.  This bird was fast and it wasn't easy.


Tonight, as I transferred the photos from my camera to my computer, I started researching. And I showed the pictures to Alain.  "That's a bald eagle!", he replied immediately.  It appears from my research that it is indeed a bald eagle.  It's hard to describe how high he was flying and I feel so thankful for my camera and that I just happened to have my large lens on. A bald eagle, I can't believe it.

My very first one.  What a happy day!!!

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool, Audrey! You captured some great photos of it too. Wow - an alligator AND an eagle. You've got some great nature karma, girl! That is awesome.

    And I love hearing that Sophie has a love and appreciation for all things nature too. You have obviously been a great influence on your girl. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb.....nature karma....I love that.....wait until you see what other animals I saw on this trip!!! I really did have good nature karme...it was SO exciting!

      Delete
  2. That is really exciting, Audrey! They are such magnificent birds. You captured some beautiful shots. I've never been to Hilton Head, but I think it would be a wonderful place to spend a long weekend. I hope that Sophie drew a picture of the bald eagle in her nature journal. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no, but she did draw the alligator...and it's the most adorable drawing! Hilton Head is awesome for a long weekend....or week....or month....or year....or decade... I think you get the picture! Ha

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails