Thursday, November 8, 2012

Life In A (Tiny) Fall Garden


The first peapods are growing.


I recently discovered a tiny lizard living in my lettuce bed. He's hard to get a photo of but can you see him under one of the leaves in the above photo?


To say that this hot pepper plant is prolific would be a gross understatement.


What to do with all of them?  We give most away.  Our neighbor gave us an awesome idea. Dry them.  So we did. Put peppers on a tray and bake them in the oven on the lowest setting for 12-14 hours. When done, let them cool, remove stems and then crush them.  We now have a spice jar full of dried pepper flakes/powder.  Alain added some to a slice of pizza last night.  Woohoo, they're hot!  As a side benefit, drying them in the oven leaves the most wonderful smell in the house.


The onions are growing nicely.


I planted a cabbage plant a few weeks ago. I went out to check on it after a week and found a potato plant sprouting up in the exact same spot!  Guess we didn't get all the potatoes out of the dirt last Spring!


Soph's zinnia plant is still as lovely as ever!


My lettuce bed.  It's a mess.  I originally planted 9 lettuce plants but something or someone came and ate most of them. So I bought some seeds and just threw a bunch down. After about two weeks, all of those seeds are growing very nicely......except I haven't had time to go out and do a proper thinning.


Another of my cabbage plants. It's so pretty.


A close-up.  I know I haven't said it in a while but cabbage leaves are one of my favorite things about gardening. I love the details and the colors.  They're just so pretty.

And that is why I am such a complete dork.  A cabbage leaf can make my day.

1 comment:

  1. I love cabbages too! I always take photos of them when I am at my Dad's. I can totally understand telling children that babies came from the cabbage patch, the little heads of cabbages look so human. My Aunt Gin had a beautiful garden when I was little and I spent so much time there just...looking!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails