Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fall Garden Update

These days, with a young infant in tow, I don't get to garden nearly as much as I would like. Okay, it's barely ever. However, with the help of the hubbie and Sophie, I've managed to get some Fall veggies planted......(yay!)....

~ My favorite veggie....leeks....we planted a LOT of them....it's the first time....high hopes these do well....I'm already dreaming of all the leek soup I'll be eating!!!



~ Remember my favorite gardening quote? Well, my garden doesn't see my shadow much at all. So, as you can imagine, my cabbage and brussel sprout plants have been totally ravaged by loopers. Here is the damage....criky. I really hate those damn things. I handpick my loopers so they've been having a field day in my absence. Last week I cleared them all out and I left the plants in to see if they're able to recover at all....




~ My marigold plants have exploded lately and they are really gorgeous!


~ I planted some random Asian Greens plant and it's thriving. I have no idea what this plant is called nor do I know what to do with it.....but I'm in love with the chartreuse tinted stems....


(*** Random Fact: I learned of the color Chartreuse because I worked at Benetton in high school....they used that name for everything!)

~ Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons and only more so because it's lettuce season. How gorgeous is this? And it tastes DIVINE too!



~ Look how colorful my first bed is.....it's so lovely!


~ The hardest part of Fall planting is having to pull out Summer crops that are still producing. This year I did some research on how to save the bulk of my tomato plants. I read about storing them in a newpaper-lined cardboard box. Guess what? IT'S WORKING! We have hundreds of tomatoes ripening in the garage and just look at all the beautiful colors....


I've also planted radishes, onion sets (white, yellow & red), Swiss chard, and some other Mustard Greens. Let's see how this goes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails