Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bye Bye, BiBi!

Well, she finally did it. My little girlie gave up her beloved BiBi, her pacifier. She did it in her own time and at her initiative. My husband and I made our peace with the BiBi a long time ago. And we made the decision that we'd let her drive the effort to give it up. Last week she decided it was time to "give her BiBi's away to the babies who need them".

This Wednesday, June 9th, we had a little ceremony in the morning.....Sophie tucked the remaining four into an envelope and we walked her out to put them in the mailbox. It's done. And her first three nights without them have been uneventful. And I am overcome with pride at how well she's done. I know it's been hard for her. She'll mention that she doesn't want to grow up and she wants to still be a baby. Don't we all? She wants to give at least ten extra hugs and kisses at bedtime. We're reading extra books. Yet she proceeds with no tears and no tantrums. It's really quite impressive.

Guess what? I have shed more tears than she has. I am surprised at how emotional I've been at this whole thing. For me, I think it's the last major step in leaving true babyhood. I am sure that she was more ready for this step than I was. I think part of it has been our inability (so far) to have a second child and my fear that I'll never get to experience another baby of my own. Maybe Tuesday night was my last night putting one of my own beautiful babies to bed. I don't know that I'll have another. Because now I am putting a very big and brave girl to bed. Yet no matter how big she gets, I will always, always, always picture her just like this.


I don't know about Soph but I know that I already miss that BiBi so much.

And, I have to say, Alain and I did it the right way....at least for our family. I never wanted to go through all the drama involved with taking it away from her before she was ready. Nights full of screaming and crying and insecurity. This was the right way. And I am so proud of us. I see how proud Soph is of herself and I know that we helped her get there. Only a parent can know what's best for their own child. Parenting is hard but it's nice to have a moment here and there when you can pat yourself on the back for doing the best thing for your child.....Bye Bye, BiBi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails