Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pesto Lovers Beware - Basil Blight!

Luckily, I listened to NPR for about 10 minutes yesterday. I caught one news story and it just happened to be about basil blight. An outbreak of downy mildew has been spreading throughout some Eastern US states (NY, NJ, OH and FL). The best way to check for it on your plants is to look at the underside of the leaves - there will be a dusty looking growth that is greyish/purplish in color. These are the spores and they spread very easily. You may also notice discoloration on the tops of the leaves. Please check out the NPR interview for more information.

As for me, I have about 8 basil plants and I can spare a few. I am planning to make pesto this weekend. JUST IN CASE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails