Saturday, July 17, 2010

Garden Frustration

No, I am not ignoring my garden. I just don't feel like talking about it. Yes, I am getting some decent harvests. But it is unreal how many problems I've encountered this year. It's been exhausting. Loopers, powdery mildew, blight, birds, Hubbell, squirrels, Japanese beetles.....and now.....wait for it.....mice? I've seen two little tiny rodents running through my cantaloupe plants but I can't quite tell if they're mice or chipmunks. But they eat little holes into the melon and then the ants quickly invite themselves in. I've composted about six melons. And we've been able to harvest two for ourselves. We have about six left and I've tried moving them all onto the beds. Fingers crossed that they make it. Because I do love the melons.

But the frustration. Ugh. It's been awful. Have I learned a lot? Yes. There are plenty of things I'll try next year to avoid these problems. And I just need lots of time to research organic solutions. At a certain point though, does it become more costly to prevent the problems than what you can get out of it? Anyway, maybe I'm just super frustrated and need some time to simmer. Just wanted to provide an update.....or rather, a lack of an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails