Monday, July 19, 2010

Power.

Anyone in a reading rut? What is that? That's what I call a period when you're craving a good book but you can't find one. I know it sounds ridiculous when there are a gazillion books floating around out there!!! But it happens. WELL, if you're in a reading rut, do I have a book for you....


I have to thank GOOP for this book recommendation. Power Trip, by Amanda Little (ahem, she's a year younger than me). This book is incredible. I've read many, many, many books on this subject. Yes, I'm a peak oil theorist (Is it even still considered just a theory? Can we call it a fact and a day now?). I'm eternally fascinated and saddened by this country's ability to bury it's head in the sand. Nowadays, in the mostly oil-covered sand. (Back to the book, Audrey, back to the book). Okay, so I thought I was pretty well educated on this topic but Amanda presents a great deal of new history and information. It's also written in a style that is very pleasant to read. I didn't detect one once of preachiness and didn't sense an agenda being pushed on me. Hmmm, that's rare these days. Therefore, I am hoping this book appeals to a larger market. The book outlines America's dependence on foreign oil and coal. It provides the history of how we've gotten to this point (delving into such topics as the invention of the container) and presents a thorough review on renewable energy sources. My personal favorite is the section on plastics ~ I found it absolutely fascinating.

I recommended this book to a friend on Friday and her first question was, "Is it scary?". Personally I think it should be. But I can honestly say that this book is written so that it won't scare you. (Although I'm happy to recommend one or two of those to you, if you'd like. Just email me). For me, the book had an optimistic vibe. I don't know that I'd be so optimistic but there you go for those of you who don't want to be scared.

As a side note, if you don't like to read, I'd recommend the "Powering the Future" series. I watched two parts of the series on the Discovery Channel last night. It's incredibly interesting and provides the same information more or less (but obviously not so detailed!). This is worth watching if for no other reason than to watch the very smart and attractive host, M.A. Sanjayan. Just looking out for all my ladies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails