Wednesday, April 20, 2011

10 Reasons Why I Love Daufuskie Island!!!


1. The island is only accessible by boat. Our particular ferry ride took an hour. But what a ride! All the beauty you take in during that hour.....well, it's amazing. To Soph's delight, we even saw some dolphins swimming by...



2. This was our car for the day. What fun! The island does have a few cars belonging to the locals, but we only saw two during the day. The island is only about 5 miles long and 2 1/2 miles wide. Who needs a car? And, believe me, I am HAPPY not having to drive a car all day!!!


3. These are the types of roads you'll encounter on Daufuskie. Sand. With tons of trees and surrounded by nature. There are very few houses and ZERO COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENTS. Heaven, in other words. What a welcome change from "the real world" we live in on a daily basis!


4. The trees. I'm not sure what this particular type of tree is called. They are nothing less than magnificent. And draped with loads of Spanish Moss. Try as I might, I couldn't manage to get a full tree into one photo. Tough problem to have!


5. Pat Conroy, quite possibly my favorite Southern author (Prince of Tides, anyone?), taught at this school. He wrote about the experience in a book of his titled, The Water Is Wide. I haven't read this one but you can bet it's high on my reading list at the moment.

* This school is called the Mary Fields Elementary School. It's a 2-room schoolhouse that was built in 1930.


6. The locals are ridiculously helpful and friendly people. I encountered a few while we were aimlessly driving around (on purpose) and they stopped us to make sure we weren't lost and in need of directions. Funnily enough, I encountered the ones I met later on when we went back to the marina for the ferry ride home. They approached me to make sure we found our way around okay and had a good time and enjoyed the island. I loved looking at all of the locals' houses as we were driving around...


7. The beach. Aaaahhhh, the beach. Sophie and I were incredibly lucky. We had this entire beach ALL TO OURSELVES for almost two hours. The tide was low so we had a blast walking around and checking out all the shells, dead jellyfish, seaweed, driftwood, etc.


8. The island has a long and very interesting history. I didn't know much of anything before I arrived. But I did manage to hit most of the historical points during our golf cart travels. To learn more, visit here.

* This picture is of the Silver Dew Winery. This tiny building was constructed in 1883 to store oil for the lamp in the island lighthouse. It was converted to a winery in the mid 1900's ~ the winery closed in 1956.


9. Images such as this one are a dime a dozen. It's just a very beautiful place!


10. Sophie & I enjoyed a magical, peaceful, nature-filled day together. We were both very happy and content. Who can ask for more than that?

* Sophie actually fell asleep in the golf cart with her head in my lap. FOR AN HOUR! So I got to drive around during this time to check out all of the historical points on the island. It was super peaceful for me....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails