Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happiness is....

MY GARDEN!!!!

Yesterday, Sophie and I spent the morning planting all of our summer crops. It wasn't very hot out yet since it was early morning (we finished by 10:30 AM), there was a nice breeze and the backyard birds were serenading us as we worked. What a nice way to spend the morning! Last year was a little challenging in the garden so I have high hopes for this season. Fingers crossed!

I like to take photos periodically throughout the season ~ I'm always amazed when I look back at them later at how quickly everything grows.... So this is a quick shot of two of the beds as of April 26th....


* Notice how well our lettuce, spinach, cabbage, onions and potatoes are coming along???

Every year I intend to officially start my "Garden Journal". Well, this year, I finally did it. This is my first entry....


As I was planting yesterday, I was amazed at how dark the soil was, thanks to the compost we spread on the beds a couple of months ago. In some spots, it's so dark that it's almost black. I can't wait to see how well the veggies grow this year!

As of today, we have the following planted:

Mild Mesclun Mix
Red Sails Lettuce ( I really love this one!)
Spinach
Spring Onions
Onions
Cucumbers (Pickling)
Zucchini
Sungold Tomatoes (small, cherry-like tomatoes, our family favorite!)
Cherokee Purple Tomatoes (an heirloom, the birds love these!)
Roma Tomatoes (my first year trying these)
Better Boy Tomatoes (for caprese salad!)
Sweet Basil
Red-Skinned Potatoes
Red Cabbage
Ambrosia Melon (cantaloupe~so delicious!)

I forgot to plant the radishes so will do that soon....

Due to the baby's pending arrival, I planted less than I would have otherwise but I think it's still plenty enough to keep me busy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails