Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Capturing Motherhood in a Photo


Last May, The Stir sponsored a "Picturing Motherhood Photo Series" (in celebration of Mother's Day 2010). Essentially, different photographers, through photos, shared a glimpse of their own motherhood stories. I enjoyed seeing all the different photos and I've thought of them often over the last year....I often catch sight of something in my home that I know provides an insight into what motherhood means to me.

This came to me again yesterday when I was cleaning out Sophie's "paint pots" in the sink. The colors were so pretty, so primary. And this is a sight that you would NEVER see in my sink if I didn't have children. Also, I groan internally when Sophie wants to paint because the cleanup is so painful. It always takes way longer for me to clean up than it does for her to paint. Yet, I give in from time to time because I know how much she loves it and I do think painting is a wonderful form of self-expression. It's so therapeutic. Giving in to the occasional "art project" is just something mothers DO.

In this one instance, I actually made time to go grab the camera and take two quick shots. I'm going to try and do this more often and, one day, I'd like to make a "what motherhood means to me" slide show of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails