Monday, May 16, 2011

Please give a warm welcome....

......to ATTICUS and SCOUT, the newest members of our family!!!

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to have some indoor birds. Recently, I've thought more and more about how I would like to have more animals in my life. Having birdsat in the past, I knew that parakeets were wonderful pets to have, fairly low maintenance and not too expensive to keep healthy and happy. Last week, as I drove past a local pet shop, I saw a sign that the store was closing and they were liquidating their inventory. Even the animals were on sale. The idea that these sweet little birds were "ON SALE" was rather heartbreaking to me. They're already so cheap ~ aren't their lives worth more than that? After three visits to the shop, some additional research and a talk with the hubbie, we decided it was the right time to adopt two feathery little babies.

On Saturday, we made our way to the store.....chose a new bird home and all of the accompanying food, treats, toys, etc.....and, finally, picked out the sweet little beings who would come home with us. Choosing them was the hard part ~ they're all so beautiful ~ how to choose? They're also very young so it's not easy to tell their gender. There were two with gorgeous pastel yellow plumage mixed with light blue and white feathers. I knew I wanted one of those. The second one was much harder to pick and, in the end, I picked a fellow with amazingly bright turquoise feathers....simply because his color (at least to me) was the most beautiful.

They were packed up in boxes (!!!!) and we drove them home.


We quickly assembled their new home complete with water, food, millet treats, toys, ladder, wheel, etc.


Then we put them in and let them find their way around......


Here are their first photos:


Scout (left) and Atticus (right)


A close-up of a very curious Scout

(As you've probably guessed, they are named after characters in my favorite book/movie, To Kill A Mockingbird. Although, after spending two days with them, I am quite sure that Scout is also a boy. Quite alright with me. No need to worry about baby birds in the future and the name "Scout" is just as fitting for a male bird.)

For $11.00 (can you imagine?), they've already brought us so many smiles and lots of happiness.

Welcome to the family, Baby Birds!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails