Monday, December 19, 2011

Suburban Field Journal

Let's set one thing straight ~ I like Christmas lights and decorated houses at this time of year. In the spirit of Clark Griswold, it's fun to drive around and see what people have created. Children love it and get so excited. As do adults!

But this? This is ridiculous. Is this really necessary?


An inflatable reindeer taller than your house? Seriously?

I had to look up the cost of just one of these beasts. Prepare yourself. It's $350. Even I was estimating around $200. WTF?

I could sit here all day and list the myriad of things I'd do with $350. Important things. Things to help other people. In this economy and living in a town where thousands of people have been laid off recently and nonprofits are struggling to survive, it's almost offensive to drive by this. Imagine the money it takes to pay the electricity bill to keep this embarrassment lit and inflated!

And you want to know the best part?


This particular house had a matching Santa to go with it.

I wish I had that kind of money to waste on absolutely nothing.

And can I just say.....I am so, so, so very thankful that I am not this person's neighbor.

PS ~ I'm feeling bad that my suburban posts are so negative. I want for my blog to be my "happy place". At the same time, this is a topic that interests me to no end. So in order to compensate, I wanted to share this positive story, also regarding Christmas lights and decorations.... I read this article over the weekend. We visit this house every year and the lights are unbelievable. And I was so pleased to see that the owners donate all the funds to St. Jude's. Yes, that's more like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails