Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What I Will Miss

Being a parent is a tough business, especially when you're parent to a strong-willed three year old who just happens to be a born negotiator (remind you of anyone?). Although lately I am a sentimental old fart. I see how my baby girl is becoming SO BIG and I think more and more about all the things I will miss about this stage once she's older. Here is a short list:

* Her version of yellow: "Lellow". I understand this is one of the last words that toddlers correct on their own. No worries, I am in no rush.

* "Jamanas". It means pajamas. There are very strict instructions in our house not to correct Sophie on this one. She'll correct herself in time. For the moment, I'm enjoying it EVERY SINGLE TIME she says it. It's so adorable!

* "Baskettios". Yes, Spaghetti-O's. What childhood would be complete without them (at least the Organic Trader Jo's version!!!)?

* Sophie regulates her appetite ~ even when she's enjoying cupcakes or ice cream or chocolate. For the life of me, I can't imagine putting down 1/2 a cupcake. But OH how I admire her willpower. I hope she keeps it for a long time.

* The same as above applies to music, TV, noise, etc. Sophie knows when she wants quiet and is vocal about it. "Mommy, I want quiet now". I love that. Depeche Mode once said, "Enjoy the Silence" and I always do. Of course, this is a one-way street. When I say, "Sophie, I want quiet now", it never seems to work!!!!

* Sophie's ultimate compliment is "sparkly". When she likes something, she'll say, "Mommy, I like your shoes (or whatever)....it's so sparkly!". Even when it isn't. So cute!

* The wiggle dance. You'd have to see it to believe it. My heart just melts every time.

* Sophie also has a very distinct "happy dance". When she's really happy about something, she does this little move.....and it looks kind of like the chicken dance. We see it most often when we're at the Turtle Beach (aka Hilton Head). Birthday parties and the ice cream shop also seem to inspire the happy dance.

* Sophie often mentions that, when she gets bigger, she wants to be a.) a taxi driver or b.) an ice cream shop worker.

* All she wants is to play with me. Never in my life have I played cars and dress-up dolls as much as I have in the last month or so. I don't understand how I get anything else done.

* I'm probably not supposed to like this but I do adore how Sophie screams in restaurants: "Mommy, I have to poopie" or "Daddy, I just pee-pee'd". Lucky for us, other people seem to find it cute too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails